What exactly is cloud computing? How is it related to SaaS, PaaS, and IaaS? Not too long ago, I wouldn’t have been able to give a clear answer because I didn’t really know the exact terminology. Like many other folks in the technology industry, I’ve heard about the “cloud” buzz for years. So I knew the general idea of cloud computing as a service that was provided to me from “out there” in the Internet. But nothing more specific than that.
Then recently on October 4, our Vice President of Smarter Infrastructure Solutions visited our TRIRIGA headquarters here in Las Vegas to meet the software teams, give a little talk, and answer any questions. When I heard about the IBM BlueMix cloud platform for the first time, something compelled me to look deeper into it. Now, about one month later, I’ve gained a much clearer understanding of cloud services, the different cloud flavors, and how they tie into IBM TRIRIGA.
Hi, my name is Jay, and I’m an IBM TRIRIGA information developer at IBM. While the Internet is certainly filled with millions of cloud-computing articles, pages, posts, and tweets, I thought I’d add my own perspective with the most memorable videos that taught me the most about the cloud in a short period of time.
What is cloud computing?
If you have no understanding of cloud computing, then this video might be the best way to introduce the concepts of SaaS, PaaS, and IaaS to you.
- Three Ways to Cloud Compute: SaaS, PaaS, and IaaS (YouTube: 7 minutes)
What is SaaS: Software as a Service?
First, SaaS focuses on the end users. These users access the applications that are delivered and hosted from the cloud. In this case, the cloud platform and cloud infrastructure replaces the traditional IT platform and infrastructure. Here are 2 videos that discuss the concept of SaaS for end users:
- Salesforce: What is Cloud Computing? (SaaS) (YouTube: 3 minutes)
- Projetech: Bringing Maximo to the Cloud (SaaS) (YouTube: 2 minutes)
Projetech is an IBM partner that offers IBM Maximo software as a service. Meanwhile, for reference, here are 4 other IBM partners that offer IBM TRIRIGA software as a service:
- BRG: IBM TRIRIGA SaaS – BRG Cloud Solutions
- CFI: IBM TRIRIGA SaaS
- eCIFM: IBM TRIRIGA as Software as a Service (SaaS)
- ValuD: IBM TRIRIGA Software as a Service (Saas) Model
What is PaaS: Platform as a Service?
Second, PaaS focuses on the application developers. These developers develop the applications in the cloud. Like the SaaS model, the cloud platform and cloud infrastructure replaces the traditional IT platform and infrastructure. Here are 3 videos that discuss the concept of PaaS for application developers:
- Red Hat: What is a Platform as a Service (PaaS)? (YouTube: 3 minutes)
- IBM: How IBM BlueMix Works (PaaS) (YouTube: 7 minutes)
- IBM: A demonstration of IBM BlueMix (PaaS) (YouTube: 10 minutes)
What is IaaS: Infrastructure as a Service?
Finally, IaaS focuses on the application developers or network architects. These developers or architects install and maintain the operating systems, middleware, and applications in the cloud. In this case, the cloud infrastructure replaces the traditional IT infrastructure. Here are 2 videos that discuss the concept of IaaS for developers and architects:
- Amazon: What is Cloud Computing with AWS? (IaaS) (YouTube: 3 minutes)
- IBM: Increase mobile agility with private clouds (IaaS) (YouTube: 4 minutes)
What are my final thoughts?
What do you think? If you didn’t have a clear understanding of cloud computing before, I hope that these videos helped to change that in less than an hour! For me, the most fascinating fact is the abundance of IBM partners that are already offering IBM TRIRIGA software as a service. But when IBM is ready to offer its own flavor of IBM TRIRIGA SaaS, it’ll be very interesting to see how they tie it to its own IBM System z mainframe and IBM BlueMix cloud platform solutions.
Do I have an update?
Eight months after delivering from the cloud, I found myself surfing through IBM Service Engage!
Fourteen months after delivering from the cloud, IBM TRIRIGA SaaS sailed into Service Engage!
- Essential Elements of an Enterprise PaaS (cloudfoundry.com)
- Continuing evolution of cloud application software (zdnet.com)
- Is open software defined environment a more dynamic version of cloud? (ibm.com)
- Why monitoring is important when choosing an IaaS provider (blogs.techworld.com)
- Did you know that IBM TRIRIGA SaaS is now on Service Engage? (tririgafeedia.wordpress.com)